Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Chicken Scarpiello with Fusilli

Did you know that this month is National Pasta Month? I certainly didn't and I almost felt ashamed because I am Italian and I do LOVE me some pasta! I can thank the lovely @ComplicatedMama, @PastaFits and the #PastaFits hashtag over on Twitter, for pointing this out to me. In celebration and to get in the spirit of the #PastaFits Twitter party, I whipped up one of my favorite recipes for dinner:

Chicken Scarpiello with Fusilli

 

Ingredients:
  • 1 Large Jar of Roasted Red Peppers
  • 1 Chicken cut into parts (I actually cheat and use chicken tenders cut into chunks)
  • 1 Pound of Sweet Sausage, cut into pieces
  • 3 cups of white or cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 Tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons of flour
  • 2 Tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons of red wine vinegar
  • 3 cups of Chicken Broth
  • 1 cup of homemade tomato sauce or good quality store bought sauce
  • 2 Tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley or (1 tablespoon of dried)
  • Fusilli Pasta (or similiar shaped pasta)
  • Olive Oil
  • Kosher Salt & Fresh Cracked Pepper, to taste
Directions:
  1. Cut the peppers into 1/4 inch strips and set aside.
  2. Heat some olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and reserve.
  3. Add the sausage to the skillet and cook until browned, about 2 minutes. (Reduce the heat as needed to keep the skillet from burning). Toss in the mushrooms and cook along with the sausage, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes.
  4. Add the peppers and stir in the flour. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in the vinegar, broth and tomato sauce and bring to a simmer, scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze. Season with salt and pepper.
  5. Return the chicken to the skillet along with any juices. Cover and simmer, gently, until the chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes (a little less if using the chicken tenders method like I tend to).
  6. While everything simmers, prepare the pasta according to the package directions for Al Dente. Strain and toss with the chicken, sausage and sauce.
  7. Garnish with parsley and parmagiano cheese

It sounds like a lot of work, but it comes together really quick and easy. I love that this dish makes a lot of left overs for my family and I love most pasta dishes even better the next day.

Do you have a favorite pasta dish? Worried about enjoying pasta while trying to reach your fitness goals? Don't be! It's all about portion control and making some simple substitutions to lighten up some of the heavier, more calorie dense recipes out there.

blog sig

4 comments:

  1. This looks delish! Definitely going to give it a try! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking it out! Let me know if you get the recipe for the Sicilian pasta that was mentioned on Twitter earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh -- I need to try this recipe! Looks heavenly! My favorite pasta recipe is my grandma's old fashioned mac n cheese!! mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yuuuum! I love homemade mac-n-cheese!

    ReplyDelete