Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Nothing Says Fall Like Apple Crisp

The title of this blog is very true to me. Some people embrace everything pumpkin when the fall rolls around, but for me, it's apples. You can keep your pumpkin muffins, pumpkin lattes and pumpkin pie. Give me crisp, delicious apples! I love the variety of apples that you can find (not to mention the cheaper prices) in the grocery stores and come on, who doesn't love apple cider or a fresh caramel apple?!

The one thing I am not a fan of is pie. I don't know why, but I just don't like them. It makes Thanksgiving dessert a little tricky since most people associate pie with the holiday (I wonder why that is exactly...hmmm.) Anyway, since I don't like pie I end up making apple crisp in the fall and right now, my kitchen is full of autumn scents as the brown sugar, cinnamon, apple goodness bakes away in my oven!

Apple Crisp

 
Warm apple crisp served with slow churned, french vanilla ice-cream.

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup regular oats
  • 1/4 cup butter or stick margarine, cut into small pieces
  • 4  sliced peeled Rome/Granny Smith/Gala or Macintosh apples
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • a pinch of nutmeg

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375°.
  2. Spray 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray (I use one meant for baking with flour added)
  3. Combine flour, sugar, oats, and cinnamon in a medium bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture is crumbly.
  4. Arrange apples in the baking dish and sprinkle with crumb mixture. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

Now I know this is a fitness blog and it's about being healthier, but I like to treat myself every now and then, and when I have apple crisp, I serve it with ice-cream. There are a lot of good, slow churned ice-creams on the market today, as well as varieties made with almond or coconut milk. I also like the Haagen Das Five line which isn't full of ingredients you can't pronounce. To me, as long as you don't indulge in stuff like this everyday, it's okay to enjoy!

Remember, it's all about portion control and moderation!

blog sig

No comments:

Post a Comment