Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Less Than One Week and Counting


Today was my pre-op appointment with the surgeon, which means my surgery is less than a week away....

YIKES!

My nerves have been on edge lately as the surgery date rapidly approaches. There is excitement to finally have my muscle issues corrected and to say farewell to the excess skin that taunts me as I get dressed daily. Then there is fear. Fear of going under the knife and everything that could go wrong. I think excitement is finally starting to win out over the fear, but that is something that can flip flop at any moment. I know...way to stay positive Nikki. Sigh.

At today's appointment, we went over everything regarding the surgery again. I got to slip into the oh so sexy, pink gown that I'm shown wearing, but this time I was also lucky enough to put on a pair of black, string, mesh-like underwear. Be jealous! ...and no...there is no photo of those horrific underwear, sorry. 


Once in my lovely new attire, I was asked to stand by a blue wall so the surgeon could take my "before" photos. I had to face him, then left, the angled, then right, then angled again. This is when I mentally died a little of embarrassment.

After photos were done I had some measurements taken for the support binder I will have to wear for 2 weeks post surgery and then I was able to ditch the pink gown, hop back into my clothing and move to the next room where my vitals were taken.

The next segment of my pre-op appointment took place in the conference room where we went over all the surgery again. I was given my surgery time, we went over all of the risks, do's and don'ts for both pre and post surgery and I was able to ask questions at this time. He also showed and explained the "pain pump" to me again. After reading things on-line, I'm very happy the surgeon I selected uses one of these and I think it's going to make life a lot easier that first week.

Once everything was gone over and I signed all of the consent forms, we made our way up front and I was given my prescription for post surgical pain medication, appointments for post-op care and I received my "Recovery Support Program" which is a box of vitamins that I started taking tonight. In the box are the following item:



Clinical Support: Morning Formula - I have to take 3 tablets daily with breakfast or lunch, from now through 2 weeks post surgery.

Clinical Support: Evening Formula - I have to take 3 tablets daily with dinner or at bedtime, from now through 2 weeks post surgery.

Bromelin with Quercetin - 2 capsules on an empty stomach before breakfast, lunch AND dinner, for 3 days prior to surgery and continue for 7 days post surgery.

Arnica Montana 30X HPUS - The evening of surgery and for 7-14 days after, 3 tablets, under the tongue on an empty stomach before breakfast, lunch AND dinner.

*I also need to take 500mg of Vitamin C twice a day as it helps to promote healing.

As I type this, I can feel all of the pills I just swallowed sitting in my chest. This is A LOT of pills to swallow daily and I must admit, I'm not looking forward to it...however, they are supposed to help me to recover faster sooooo......

After receiving my surgical handbook and goody bag of prescriptions, appointments, pills and antiseptic cleanser, I was off to talk with the surgical nurse. She went over when and how to use the antiseptic cleaner and what I can and cannot use when prepping myself the day of surgery. She went over all of the vitamins again and made sure I received my prescription for blood work.

From there, I went to the financial office, where I left a very large chunk of money and suddenly it hit me.....I'm actually going through with this!

blog sig

1 comment:

  1. [...] we were greeted by the nurses and we were taken back to a prep room.  I once again had to wear the oh so sexy pink gown and horrific paper string bikini bottoms. This time they added some knee-high compression socks, [...]

    ReplyDelete