Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Namaste, Bitches!


Day 4. P90X. Yoga X.

Yes, I know, my title sounds very tranquil and relaxing. For those of you who have done Yoga X, you know there is nothing tranquil and relaxing about it, especially during Yoga Belly X were he yells at you to reach higher and "Get Em Up"!

I have done two rounds of P90X and I have never developed a love for this workout like some people I know. I have always enjoyed doing my Rodney Yee AM Yoga and meditation style yoga dvd's, but this is not either of those.

First off, I struggle with the vinyasas. I loath them and I know I mentally talk myself into this funk. If I would just truly focus and lose myself in the motions I am sure I would be ok. However, being a mom of two it is often hard to get 90 mins of quiet so you can truly focus. No excuses....just telling the truth here. I still do it...just not as dedicated as I should.

I will also admit that during the 1st two rounds of P90X I often skipped ahead to the last vinaysa and started at the balance posture sequence. I know it's cheating, but to me something was better than nothing and I KNOW I am not alone in this. If I didn't skip ahead I would opt for one of Tony's One-on-One series yoga DVD's - either Patience Hummingbird or Fountain of Youth Yoga, because they were shorter.

For round 3 I have decided I need to leave my comfort zone and face Yoga X head on....all 90 uncomfortable minutes of it. This time around, since I didn't start on a Monday, yoga falls on my day off and the kids are in school so that should help a lot. I have decided that I will truly "do my best and forget the rest" and not just go through the motions. It will be an uphill battle but it is the only way I can grow as a person and better myself.

Plus, I am grateful that Daniel Haas is in this workout. He represents the average person. Not all of us are Gumby and it's nice to know that I'm not alone with my shaky legs.

As for today's session, it went well. As some of you who follow me on twitter probably saw, I fell over and busted my ass during the vinyasa section while doing right angle pose & grab. I of course laughed at myself, had to share and then moved on.

The first half of the workout seems to drag on forever to me, and that is because I am not comfortable doing it. Once the second half begins, it's smooth sailing. I could probably stand in tree pose all day with a clear mind. It's one of my favorites, followed by happy baby and corpse pose...haha!

Yoga Belly X is definitely a challenge, especially after doing an ab workout late the night before. I can feel that my core is gaining strength since I last did Yoga X which was a pleasant surprise.

Tomorrow is Legs and Back for me....Sneaky Lunges, Wall Squats and Groucho Walk....Oh My!

blog sig

3 comments:

  1. +10 points for some honesty and devotion to your craft of being fit and healthy, Nic! For some, Yoga is just hell. I've learned so much about what my body can do through doing Yoga, and now I've come to rely on its therapeutic power to rejuvenate and relax, even when you're in a "tiny little room and everyone's sweating like hell."

    The more you dive into this routine, the more you'll start to crave it. When you start rocking out the early vinyasas and you start to see yourself going deeper in your lunges and controlling your breathing, you'll find that Tony is right...it's a rush like you've never felt before.

    Yet again, you continue to inspire me and remind me of how important it is to find the way/s to continually Reinvent Your A-Game.

    Bring it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To funny and i just love your humor... I laugh cause today is day 4 for me too and I'm so dreading yogax .. like really dreading it .. to the point where i keep say maybe i should switch out for something else just for this week ugh!!! but i then i say i might test it cause i never done it before .. but i just hated the lil i did it cardiox ..lol terrible but im just saying ... well im about to head and do it and ill let you know how it turns out

    Imani..... http://imanip90x.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog, Imani. How did the workout go for you? Thanks for leaving a link to your blog as well....I love them out to see what others have to say.

    ReplyDelete