Saturday, August 14, 2010

Just Being Me!


If there is one thing I have learned over the past year it is that I am who I am.

A favorite quote of mine is: "The hardest challenge is to be yourself in a world where everyone is trying to make you be somebody else."

For many years of my life I did what others expected me to do, wanted me to do or what I thought I should be doing. I would put aside who I really was, what I was really thinking or what I wanted to do so I wouldn't "rock the boat" and so I could "fit in".

Part of me was scared that people wouldn't like me if they knew what I was really thinking or if I went against the grain. Now I realize that those people never really liked ME....how could they? They didn't know ME. They just liked the illusion because it was what was expected....the quote on quote "norm".

I now try my hardest to stay true to myself. I say what I feel. I call a spade a spade and I don't sugar coat anything. I refuse to do something just because everyone else is or because that's what's expected of me.

Now the tricky part of this is that I refuse to quit being myself for my business. As a Beachbody Coach the "norm" is to always be upbeat, positive and basically a cheerleader. I have no problem doing that as the average person yearns to be happy and I want to see people have success. This is why I became a coach (well the discount is nice too - just being honest).  However I will not mask that fact that I am human. I have good days and I have bad days. I have things that bother me, I speak my mind and yes, I use foul language. (GASP!!)

This is who I am and I refuse to change myself at all, for any reason. I know that this might hold me back as a coach to an extent but I'm ok with that. I would rather have it take me longer to be successful and have a team of people who like me for me, instead of who they think I am.

I tend to talk to people who are real with their feelings and who are truthful in what's going on over those who portray a constant upbeat persona. I have more respect for people who can open up and be honest that life is not always a bed of roses and there are obstacles in life.

Ultimately it comes down to my favorite Dr. Seuss quote: "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
blog sig

2 comments:

  1. Once again - Awesome post! I don't know what it is about Twitter. If it's the level of anonymity or the limit of 140 characters, but it *seems* like people are honest (or maybe more likely to be honest). Perhaps that's just my perception. Glad I found you through Twitter. You are genuine and authentic - an inspiration and source of humor. Thanks for being YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Dr. Suess quote! You have a terrific attitude! You have a true gift for lifting people's spirits and motivating them to achieve their true potential. I'm glad to see your allowing that for yourself too. We're our own worst critics and it's tough finding that balance between pushing ourselves and supporting ourselves. I'm starting to find it too.

    I've been reaching a lot of self realizations too. Hopefully the link with this leads you to my latest. Happy trails, Nikki. Your future is bright as long as you allow it to be!

    ReplyDelete