Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Fun Family Weekend

This past weekend was Father's Day weekend and I must say, it was really nice.

Saturday, the hubs had to work and the little man had a birthday party to attend, but that night we attended a local festival. Our town hosts this large shindig every year in our local recreation center (the same one where my beloved trail is). They have tons of food trucks, different vendors, live entertainment and then a field full of inflatable bounce houses and slides for the kids. They also have a bungee type jump and rock climbing wall for the older kids, and they even added a DJ on the basketball courts for the teen crowd this year, which my daughter liked.

My hubs and I both splurged on dinner that night. I decided to have a Philly cheese-steak and he had sausage and peppers. If you've been to a fair or festival, you know how awesome they are, despite the price. Stuff like this takes me back to my childhood in Brooklyn at our annual festival, and I'm a fan of trips down memory lane.

Remember kids...it okay to eat stuff you like that isn't 100% healthy from time to time. Just don't turn it into a daily habit!

The night was spent watching our son bounce, slide and make friends with the animals in the petting-zoo. Once it got dark, we found our daughter, grabbed a sweet treat and headed over to pick a spot to watch the fireworks before heading home. There is something about ice-cream and fireworks that just summer, right?

Petting zoo
Family minus one

Father's Day was spent at home in our yard.

I woke up early, ran to the grocery store for some fresh baked rolls for lunch and then I stopped at Dunkin Donuts for some daddy treats and coffee. I skipped the donuts but I did treat myself to a warm bagel. I have a weakness for the little nutritional black holes....especially when they are hot out of the oven. (I know, there is much healthy going on in this post, we're human...like you.)

We thankfully had really nice weather and just enjoyed sitting outside, grilling and having fun. We had yummy burgers for lunch and dinner was grilled cilantro lime chicken and grilled corn, tossed with over roasted potatoes, onions, peppers and hot sausage. It was another experiment and turned out really good! I actually can't wait to make it again, since it was super easy and flavorful.

Because donuts aren't bad enough, I made a cake. A cake surrounded by Kit-Kat's and topped with M&M's. (I know...what the hell...but dad's deserve treats...plus I blame Pinterest!) I spent the entire afternoon telling the kids, my husband and my mother to quit trying to steal M&M's off the cake. It was exhausting, but so worth it!

Dad's Run on Dunkin

Super Dad


Yesterday was hubs day off from work, so he and I headed to the movies to see Man of Steel, which he has been dying to see all weekend. We went to an IMAX theater to see it, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I really liked the way they told the story, and Henry Cavill really brought Superman/Clark Kent to life for me. Michael Shannon was excellent as Zod and I was surprised that I liked Russell Crowe as Jor-El. My biggest gripe was the length of the film...too long! Hollywood really needs to quit making movies that are 2.5 hours and longer. First off, they are a day killer. The movie started at 12:45 and we didn't get out until almost 4pm...I don't have time for that. Second, movie theater drinks are HUGE and my bladder is small. If I get up to use the bathroom, I'll miss part of the movie. As a result, I sit there with a full bladder, squirming around waiting for the movie to end. THIS is why I can't wait to see Monsters University, Despicable Me 2 and TURBO. Kid movies are always a normal length and they are bladder friendly!

Monsters University ID


Well...I hope I didn't bore you to death with my weekend and I hope you enjoyed yours! Did you do anything fun? Have you seen any good movies lately? Looking forward to anything coming out soon?

blog sig

2 comments:

  1. I would eat that whole cake in one sitting. I have the same picture of PJ in the Monsters U sign. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake was good, but really sweet because of all the candy. Maddy wants me to make it again for her birthday but with a few modifications. PJ and I are clearly on the same maturity level....which is level awesome ;)

    ReplyDelete