Monday, March 11, 2013

I Am Not A Fan Of The Gym

I'm pretty sure many of you who follow my blog already figured out, that I am NOT a fan of the gym. As a matter of fact, I can't tell you the last time I even worked out in one. Possibly pre-children, so that would be over a decade ago!

This past week, however, I entered a gym again.

As you have seen, I've been participating in the #FurtherFasterForever Badge Challenge. I admittedly can be a very competitive person with myself, so I looked over the badges many, many times and set my sites on the ones I felt I could do. I normally do my running up at my local recreation center, which has paved route options as well as a 5k trail option. I also have a stationary bike at home, so I could attempt some of the cycling badges too!

The issue however, was that Mother Nature decided to bless the East Coast with yet another dose of craptastic weather. I powered through the wind and some rain that she dropped on us (and even got the hubs to join me on one of those lovely mornings), but when the slick snow fell, I admitted defeat and headed to the gym, in the clubhouse at my mom's development.

Mike and I after a windy, rainy 5K. 
Mike and I after a windy, rainy 5K.

The slick, snowy mess that Mother Nature decided to drop on us, was my morning warm-up before hitting the gym for the first time in years. 
The slick, snowy mess that Mother Nature decided to drop on us, was my morning warm-up before hitting the gym for the first time in years.

Less stubborn people most likely would have taken a rest day or just did the bike, but I had a badge to obtain. Yes...I am THAT thickheaded.

Anyway.... I must admit there is a nice set-up up there, and it is much smaller than your normal monthly membership gyms. They had a decent amount of treadmills, a few different bikes and an elliptical. They also had a weight circuit and an indoor pool. The pool would have been awesome if I knew how to swim....sigh.

Since I was there to run, I picked a
hamster wheeltreadmill and started it up. I instantly felt dread and doom take over as I ran but got nowhere. There was no breeze, no change of scenery, nothing. Just the sound of a belt moving below me and the yapping of some other people in the room with me. I realized I couldn't look down or I'd get dizzy. I also couldn't look left or right for the same reason. Sigh....I was stuck looking forward at either CNN or my own reflection in a picture on the wall. What felt like eternity was only 1.25 miles and I stepped off in defeat. I decided to hop on a bike, clear my head and then have another go. My second attempt yielded 3.25 miles, which I was happy with.

Top left: Pool Area, Top Right: Cardio Area, Bottom Left: Weight Area, Bottom Right: My first attempt on the hamster wheel. 
Top left: Pool Area, Top Right: Cardio Area, Bottom Left: Weight Area,
Bottom Right: My first attempt on the hamster wheel.

I left the gym that day happy that I was able to log some mileage, but also in awe of the people I see on Twitter and Instagram who log all these miles on the hamster wheel of doom treadmill. I guess it's one of those examples of  "to each their own".

My other issue with the gym is time restraints. If it's busy, you can only use a machine for 30 minutes....I guess that's not awful, but I have days where I can go further and longer and I like being able to do so, without someone pointing to a sign-up sheet to hint that your time is up. (BTW...that did not happen to me here, but it had in the past.)

I'm sure I'll have to go back again this week, as there is chatter of another storm brewing. I'm not looking forward to it, but I'm grateful (despite my bitching) to have access to the alternative.

Do you run on the hamster wheel to nowhere treadmill? Do you have any tips or tricks to make it more tolerable?

blog sig

2 comments:

  1. Yes to treadmill. A necessary evil sometimes!! BUT - what I have learned is you can really work on your form, especially if you have a mirror in front of you. Quick and light feet. Body upright - shoulders relaxed. Also, I try to mix up my speeds to keep me engaged. 10 min warm up with 10 x 1 on and 1 off (1 min fast and then 1 min recovery). 10 min cool down. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gina. Unfortunately there is no mirror at my moms gym, but I'll keep the quick light feet and changing pace in mind next time I meet the wheel of dread.

    ReplyDelete