Saturday, February 9, 2013

A Smooth-ie New {Guest Post}

This week I have a great guest post courtesy of Jac, from Nora & Jac! If you follow me on Twitter you may be familiar with her name from The Plank Challenge.

We have only met in person once (and it wasn't under the best of circumstances) but I consider her a good friend and I'm glad that I met her on that crazy place called Twitter.

I enjoy that we motivate each other and that she is just as willing to try new healthy recipes as I am! Heck, as I type this I'm sipping on the Skinny Water recipe she blogged about the other day (It's on her blog...check it out!) and making a list of ingredients I need to purchase to try the recipe below.

blog sig


I apologize for my Instagram photo. I forget to bust out the good camera first thing in the morning. 
I apologize for my Instagram photo. I forget to bust out the good camera first thing in the morning.

Hey y'all, I'm Jac of Nora & Jac - Nikki and I met through a mutual friend of ours and have became great pals since! This girl motivates me like no one else to get healthy and get my bum to the gym. {which I have failed to do lately.} I love having someone who is states away but can still send me a tweet saying get off your ass and get moving and I kinda feel like I have to listen to her. So thanks for that, lady!

And while I'm getting back on the healthy track I've discovered my love for "Green Smoothies". My first thought on them were that they would be gross, taste like grass, or be one of those things I just drank because it's healthy. Spinach in a smoothie just seemed bizarre to me. But, eventually I thought I'd give it a try.... and boy was I wrong! DELICIOUS!

Before this discovery I tended to stray away from smoothies, not because I didn't like them {I LOVE them} but because they always made me feel kinda icky and bloated afterwards. However, I was also buying those pre-made smoothie packs - that could have had something to do with it. But now, after using all fresh ingredients and a huge handful of spinach I feel good after drinking them and stay full until lunch.

Ingredients: 
{bare with me here - I don't actually measure anything. Unless using my hands count? ;)}

A handful of spinach leaves
1 cup of greek yogurt {any flavor - I used Stawberry here}
6 large blackberries
1/2 c blueberries
1/2 banana
3 strawberries, sliced
1/4-1/2 c skim milk
a dash of cinnamon

I always freeze my banana the night before. This time I also froze my strawberries and the greek yogurt. I spooned the yogurt into an ice cube tray {about 6 ice cubes worth}.

Put the spinach in the blender first, then the yogurt, then just layer the fruits and pour the milk and cinnamon over it. You kinda have to eyeball the milk amount... I just add milk until it's blending properly. I loved this berry/spinach smoothie.

There are so many variations you can do. This morning my smoothie was spinach, pineapple, peach, banana, greek yogurt, and I used coconut water as my liquid. Yum in my tum!

So... the lesson here being... if you were apprehensive about spinach smoothies... TRY THEM! You won't regret it! And if you are an avid spinach smoothie drinker... what do you put in yours??? 

A Smooth-ie New {Guest Post}


1 comment:

  1. [...] my friend Jac did a Guest Post here about them and then pinned a recipe over on Pinterest that finally made me try [...]

    ReplyDelete