Friday, October 5, 2012

{Fitness Friday}


It's Fitness Friday again! I know I missed last week and kinda dropped off the grid for awhile (I do that...I know. I try not to but life just kinda happens..sorry) but I'm still doing P90X and as a matter of fact, just completed the 3rd week of Phase 2, which means next week is my rest week!

The hubs and my schedule got a little wonky this week, so we ended up doing Back and Biceps last night instead of Wednesday. As a result, I can't do Legs and Back tonight because my back needs the day of rest. The hubs birthday is tomorrow so pushing Legs and Back back a day won't work either. To remedy this, I decided to do a lower body workout I found on the web to see how I liked it.

Here is the workout I followed:
Move 1:  Squats (15 - 25 reps depending on fitness level. Add weights if you would like for extra resistance)

Stand with feet hip-width apart, feet facing forward, arms by your sides. Sit back and lower down slowly, as if you were sitting into a chair. Keep your back straight and lower yourself as far as you can. Keep your eyes looking ahead. Immediately rise out of the squat and return to standing.

Move 2:  Forward Lunges (10 - 20 reps on each side, depending on fitness level. Add weights if you would like for extra resistance)

Stand with feet hip-width apart. Step a wide step forward with your right foot, and bend both knees as far as you can without losing your balance until your right thigh is parallel to the floor and your left thigh is straight up and down. Your back foot will be flexed. Press off your front foot and step back into starting position. If you can’t go all the way to parallel, start by going partway down. If you need to, stabilize yourself with your hands on your hips, or a stable object.

Move 3:  Plie Jumps (15 - 25 reps, depending on fitness level)

Stand with feet wide apart, with your feet turned out, and hands on hips. Stand tall with abs in. As you squat, press knees wide over your feet. You should feel a stretch along your inner thighs. In one explosive movement, push from your feet to straighten your legs and hop into the jump off the floor. As your feet come back to the floor, try to land softly, absorbing the landing from toes through heels.

Move 4: Fire Hydrants (10 - 20 reps on each side, depending on fitness level)

Start on all fours, knees directly under your hips, and hands directly below your shoulders. Keep your back and neck straight and look forward. Keeping your knee bent, raise your right leg out to the side, until your thigh is parallel to the floor. Keep your pelvis stable. Slowly lower your leg back to starting position. (You'll feel this in your shoulders and core, too.)

Move 5: Quadruped (10 - 20 reps on each side, depending on fitness level)

Start on all fours, knees directly under your hips, and hands directly below your shoulders. Keeping your right knee bent to 90 degrees, lift right leg until thigh is parallel to floor. Your foot should be flexed. Pump the sole of your foot toward ceiling in a small movement. (You'll feel this in your shoulders and core, too.)

Move 6: Bridge Lift (10 - 20 reps, depending on fitness level)

Lie on your back on a mat, knees bent, feet flat on the floor near your buttocks. Place your arms along your sides with palms flat on floor. Contract your abdominal muscles and slowly lift your hips off floor so that your body forms a straight line from knees to shoulders. Squeeze your glutes tight, as you press your hips toward the ceiling. Hold for a second, then lower slowly back down to the floor.

Move 7: Clams(10 -20 reps on each side, depending on fitness level)

Lie on your side on mat with your hips and shoulders in a straight line, head lying on your outstretched arm. Bend your knees so that your thighs are at a 90-degree angle to your body. Stack your hips, shoulders, and knees directly on top of each other. Use your core muscles to hold this alignment as you do the exercise.

Keeping your big toes touching, open your top leg up like a clam shell opening. Press your knee open only as far as it can go without disturbing the alignment of your hips. Slowly return your knee back down. Repeat. You should begin to feel a burn in your upper hip muscle

I repeated the circuit 3 times and was very happy with the muscle burn I felt. I achieved a nice jello feeling in my legs from this and I will definitely keep this in the rotation. As many of you know, I become bored quickly with workouts and often look for the quickest, yet effective ones to do.

Nutrition has been going pretty well for me too. I had a few slip ups here and there but that's life and I no longer beat myself up over stuff like that the way I used to. I have a few recipes that I tried and plan on sharing soon!

What have you been doing to get fit and healthy? Do you have any workouts or recipes to share? I'd love to hear about them if you do.

blog sig

2 comments:

  1. I am finishing up Phase 2 (Strength Phase) of P90X2 Round 2. I decided to do five weeks, since the phases in P90X2 are variable in length, and I took a recovery week between weeks 2 and 3. This phase is the most similar to P90X, and it makes me want to go back to the old gang sometime soon!

    Apparently one of the fitness folks I follow online (Marc Panyan, aka PanyanX) is encouraging his followers to do 100 push ups every day in October. It can be broken up however we want; as he put it, that's about six push ups every hour you're awake. I started on October 3rd when I first heard about it. I counted the push ups I did today for X2 Yoga (30 or so) as part of my total.

    Thanks for the update! It's great to see you and your husband working out together, mostly. If you've never heard of them before, I suggest you check out http://www.fitmarriage.com. They happen to be the Beachbody team I joined after hearing about their mission to help couples get fit together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your progress! That's neat the P90X2 has a variable length..I like that a lot so it can fit your life better :)

    I love challenges like that. I did a squat one last fall and enjoyed seeing the progress I made with it. Recently I did the plank challenge, too. I need to get back to that since my shoulders feels better. I really want to hit that 5 minute mark.

    I'll check out that link now. I used to hate working out with anyone else. I always viewed it as my personal time to decompress and clear my mind. Now I don't mind anymore and find that we both keep to the schedule better and push harder during our workouts.

    Thanks for sharing with me! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete