Friday, August 3, 2012

It's Not Just For Kids

Last night I had the pleasure of attending Sweet Suite 12, which was an event party at BlogHer in NYC. It was held in the middle of Times Square and was jam packed with all of the newest and coolest toys that were either just released or are headed to stores as I type this post.

As a mom of two, I felt right at home and loved hearing about and trying these toys first hand. As a fitness blogger, I felt a little out of place and out of my element until I started speaking to a representative from Xbox about Kinect. While talking I found out that they have a new Nike+Kinect Training "game" coming out in late October.

Here is some more info I found on the Xbox website:

"Nike+ Kinect Training"

July 2012 
Get fitter, faster and stronger with “Nike+ Kinect Training,” a personalized training experience built from the ground up with athletic expertise and inspiration from Nike coupled with powerful and precise technology from Kinect for Xbox 360. “Nike+ Kinect Training” brings world-class Nike training directly into the home to help individuals meet their fitness goals and reach their personal best.

Through the magic of Kinect, “Nike+ Kinect Training” can see how the body moves, assess physical strength and athleticism, identify areas for improvement, and create a personalized workout plan tailored to each person. With real-time feedback to make sure positions and movements are correct and a customized program that evolves over time, “Nike+ Kinect Training” is for everybody, whether a professional athlete, an everyday athlete or someone just getting started.

With fitness assessments every four weeks and the ability to work out with friends over Xbox LIVE and tap into the Nike+ community, “Nike+ Kinect Training” helps athletes stay motivated every step of the way.1 Take training even further by competing in challenges, sending encouragement to friends and keeping workouts on track with a mobile companion app.2

1 Online multiplayer requires Xbox LIVE Gold membership (sold separately). 2 Requires compatible mobile device and Nike+ account; carrier fees apply.

I love the concept of this and look forward to giving it a try when it is released. I have tried fitness "games" for the Wii before and was never a fan of them because the wire from the Wii remote was always in the way or it didn't seem to read my movements correctly. After trying the Kinect at Sweet Suite 12, I felt that it picked up on movements better so I have high hopes for the form checking feature that I read about above.

I am always looking for new workouts to try and anything that can be done in the comfort of my living room is always a plus. I also love that video game systems are focusing on the needs of parents as well. So many moms (and dads) don't have the time to make it to the gym or their kids won't stay in the gyms babysitting without meltdown and crying. Now these parents don't have to forfeit their health. They can do their workout during naptime, after bedtime or before everyone is awake is demanding stuff without being tied into a monthly or yearly gym membership!

Have you tried virtual workouts before? If so, what is your opinion on them?

blog sig

*This is not a paid advertisement. I received no money or compensation to write this blog post. This is just me, sharing my excitement over a product I liked.*

1 comment:

  1. We have Wii Fit, and the times I have tried it, I thought it placed too much emphasis on balance as the key to fitness, since that's what it can read based on your foot position. There are a few fun applications of this, but none I have seen as a hardcore workout. I've heard Jillian Michaels say she likes Kinect a lot better. Whether that's because it was her latest video game project, or whether it is really superior, time will tell. I haven't tried any of the trainer-developed games for the Wii. Unfortunately, I don't have an Xbox, either.

    ReplyDelete