Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Easy Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken

I've been on a hunt for clean eating recipes this week and tonight I decided to give this one a shot. I'm usually willing to try anything with a Mexican flair to it so I didn't think twice about tossing everything into the slow cooker and heading out the door without a back up plan for dinner.

Easy Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken

Mexican Chicken Tostada

Ingredients:
4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (trimmed of any excess fat)
3-4 Tbs of Homemade Taco Seasoning (recipe to follow)
1 cup of Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth

Directions:
Place all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and make sure the chicken is coated with all of the spices. Arrange in a single layer the best you can, cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. The chicken will shred easily when it is fully cooked.

I happened to have some fresh limes in the house, so after shredding the chicken, I squeezed some lime juice over it, stirred and placed the lid back on to keep things warmed while I prepped the rest of dinner.

Homemade Taco Seasoning:
This is so quick and easy to make! No need for all of the sodium, MSG and preservatives that are included in those big name packets of taco seasoning.

2 tbsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. chili powder

You can store this in an air tight jar or mini tupperware and have it ready for easy use. Use about 1 Tbsp of seasoning for each pound of meat when making tacos.

Oddly enough, I had never tried a tostada before so I decided that's how I would serve this up. I just tossed some whole wheat organic tortillas in a 350 degree oven, directly on the rack (make sure they don't bend between the grate) for about 5-7 minutes per side, and then topped them with the chicken, organic salsa, corn, guacamole, lettuce and chopped tomato.

I'm hoping to try some more slow cooker recipes over the next week to prepare myself for the back to school craziness. Do you have a healthy slow cooker recipe you love? If so, please share it with me!

blog sig

No comments:

Post a Comment