Monday, July 16, 2012

Cajun Chicken & Vegetables with Pasta

I am a pasta junkie. I love pasta and could eat it everyday, but of course, I try not to. Over the past year, I have tried different types of pasta while trying to eat cleaner and I must admit, while I was skeptical of both, I have become a fan of Dreamfields and the gluten-free varieties of pasta that are becoming easier to find in the grocery stores.



I was also recently introduced to a creole seasoning called Tony Chachere's (Thank you @uccjeb). I'm obsessed with it and have been putting it on everything, so it was only a matter of time before it became a main ingredient in a recipe for me.

As always, I tried to keep this recipe light while keeping a rich feel to it. I like to trick myself into thinking I'm eating something sinful even though I'm feeding my body the stuff it craves and needs to function properly.

Cajun Chicken & Vegetable with Pasta

Ingredients:
  • 8 ounces uncooked linguine (I used Dreamfields this time but you can certainly use gluten-free or whole wheat depending on your preference and dietary needs)
  • 1 pound chicken breast strips
  • 2-3 tsp Cajun seasoning (or to taste, I probably used a little more)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 vidalia onion, sliced (you can use any onion you have on hand)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup of grape tomatoes, halved or quarter according to your preference
  • 1 cup fat free low sodium chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup skim milk
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • 3 tbsp light cream cheese
  • fresh cracked pepper & salt, to taste
  • 2 scallions, chopped
Directions:
Prep all your vegetables as directed. In a blender combine the milk, flour and cream cheese, blend until combined, then set aside. Season chicken generously with Cajun seasoning, garlic powder and salt.

Prepare the pasta in salted water according to package directions.

Heat a large heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and spray lightly with cooking spray. Add half of the chicken and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes or until done. Set aside on a plate and repeat with the remaining chicken.

After removing the second batch of chicken from the pan, add olive oil to the skillet and reduce to medium. Add bell peppers, onions, and garlic to skillet, sauté for 3-4 minutesNext, add the mushrooms and tomatoes and sauté 3-4 more minutes or until vegetables are tender. Season with 1/4 tsp salt, garlic powder and fresh cracked pepper to taste.

Reduce heat to medium-low, then add the chicken broth and the milk, flour, cream cheese mixture and stir for about 2 minutes.

Return the chicken to skillet,  adjust your seasoning to taste and cook another minute or two until hot. Add the linguine, tossing well to coat. (I let mine sit for a few minutes so the pasta could absorb some of the sauce and thicken up a little)

Garnish with chopped scallions and enjoy!

This made a ton of food and the left overs were even better the next day reheated! As I was eating the left over, I also thought that some zucchini would be excellent in this dish, especially since they are in season now.

blog sig

No comments:

Post a Comment