Tuesday, July 26, 2011

It's Amazing What A Week Can Do


Last week I spoke about trying to love and accept myself for who I am and how I look.

I made a promise to myself that I would not beat myself up for every little thing. I worked on this all week and I am happy to report a boost in my self-confidence.

Unfortunately, I struggled with my nutrition and workouts. They were not perfect, but you know what? That's OK...cause neither am I, and it's those flaws that make me the person I am today.

Perfect doesn't exist, and the sooner we all come to terms with that, the happier we will all be.

PERFECT:
  • Having all the required or desirable elements, qualities, or characteristics; as good as it is possible to be

  • Free from any flaw or defect in condition or quality; faultless

  • Precisely accurate; exact

  • Highly suitable for someone or something; exactly right

The above is this idea that so many of us strive for. We spend so much of our time and energy trying to achieve it that we miss the little things that make us who we truly are.
I know I have been guilty of this for a long time. There are so many things over this two-year journey I have achieved but glanced over because I was pushing for something that doesn't exist. I was so hung up on the things I couldn't do, that I showed no appreciation for the things I could and did do. (I lost over 100lbs and still stayed focused on what was wrong with my body....what is wrong with me?!)

Looking back on that now, I'd like to kick myself. What an idiot I was/am. My accomplishments were huge but never good enough in my eyes because I lacked respect and true non-judgemental love for myself. (How could I have ever expected other to give me praise and credit when I couldn't give it to myself?)

It's become obvious to me the final leg of this journey is purely mental. It's all mind over matter and learning to respect, accept and love the person I am, where I have come from and where I am heading. All of these pieces need to fit together like a puzzle in order for me to truly accept myself.

In the long run, accepting and loving myself is all that truly matters, because if I don't, I can't expect anyone else to.

blog sig






No comments:

Post a Comment