Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sometimes You Have To Take A Detour


As I confessed last week, I fell off of the fitness wagon. An injury followed by getting sick started a chain of events that lead to almost 3 weeks of no exercise.

Thankfully, today I was feeling better and did X-Stretch from P90X, which my body truly needed.

While running some errands today and feeling like a loser for not working out in so long, I realized that these things happen and sometimes they happen because they need to happen.

During my "workout vacation" I was able to truly focus on my nutrition which is something I have always struggled with. The cleanse that I started back on the February 1st has done wonders for me. I have been pretty disciplined with it so far (as you know I already confessed to 2 cheats and I should add a third, but why go there right now) , I've tried new foods and I have renewed my love for cooking. These are all things that needed to happen but I didn't always have time for while cramming workout sessions in on a daily basis.

In a lot of ways I think my body needed this break from the workouts. I have put my body through hell for a year and a half with rarely more than 2 days off at a time. When I would take those 2 days off, I usually ended up pulling doubles the next day, which is quite a lot for the body to handle.

Am I upset that I didn't complete round 3 of P90X? A little. However I've done the program before and I know that I could just restart Phase 2 if I really wanted to, but I don't think I will. I think it's time to try something new. Plus my schedule has been pretty crazy and I don't have that hour to truly commit to my workouts everyday.

For the next 30 days I will be trying Jillian Michaels "30 Day Shred". I know a few people who have tried it and really enjoyed it. Will I complete the 30 days? I don't know. I have to test it out and see if I enjoy it.

Some of you may think I am all over the place since completing Insanity, and you are probably right. I started the hybrid and dropped it after 30 days for P90X. Then I did 30 days of P90X before having to stop and here I am talking about the 30 Day Shred now. Maybe since it's only 30 Days, it's just what I need. Who knows. The important thing is that I keep fueling my body with healthy foods and that I keep moving. This is a way of life for me now and I sometimes just have to follow the detours and hope that I end up back on course.

blog sig

6 comments:

  1. Good for you, Nikki! I agree that there is no reason for you to beat yourself up. You ARE eating well, you ARE busy and moving and you HAVE CHANGED your lifestyle. :). You're a role model and you've put the work in! I hope you enjoy JM's 30 day Shred. I've heard it's a beast, but I can't wait to see what an INSANITY grad has to say about it :)

    xo,
    Tab

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I've always held to the idea that one should take a full break from fitness inbetween programs. That way your body can hit the new routine fresh and relaxed and ready for pummeling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see you're getting back in the groove. You know my experience over the past few months has been very similar. Right now, I am focusing on the shorter workouts from Tony Horton's book, and getting a good night's sleep on a consistent basis. It's possible to get too much of a good thing.

    Before there was Tony Horton and P90X in my life, I was a big fan of The Biggest Loser. I worked my way through three of Jillian Michaels' DVDs, including 30 Day Shred (which I used for several months). The workouts are meant to be short and efficient, so time isn't as much of a factor as with P90X. She also talks a lot about focusing on the body part you are exercising at the time, to perfect your technique.

    Have fun with Jillian! I guess I could follow that with an evil laugh... She's really not mean at all on her DVDs. I got a much better impression of her from the DVDs, as well as her radio show a couple of years ago. The good news there is that she has a brand new podcast on iTunes called "The Jillian Michaels Show." Definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tab! I just finished my 1st Shred and it's a solid workout! This cold has kicked my cardio endurance back a few notches....time to get things back where they were.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You left out that tidbit of info during all of my coaching sessions with you :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Fred. I just finished my first Shred and it's a truly solid workout. I felt my heart-rate climb and I really liked the fast pace of things. This is going to be perfect as the weather gets nicer and I focus on hitting the fitness trail more often.

    Thanks for letting me know about the podcast, too! I'll have to check that out :)

    ReplyDelete