Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Baked Oatmeal Snack Bars


I've been on a quest to find a healthy, oatmeal bar to replace my addition to the sugar laden Quaker Oatmeal To-Go bars. I used this recipe as a jumping point (found at kateats.com) and made  two variations which I have posted below the original recipe.

I also plan on trying them with PB2, which is powdered peanut butter. This variation would call for 1/2 cup of PB and I'm thinking about adding raisins or some semi-sweet mini chocolate chips as a treat.

Ingredients
  • 1.5 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 3/4 cup dried fruit (I used 1/4 cup cranberry trail mix, 1/4 cup raisins, 1/4 cup chopped dried "just banana" from TJ’s)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1.25 cups skim milk
  • 1 egg or egg substitute
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350*
  2. Mix dry ingredients.
  3. Mix wet ingredients.
  4. Pour wet into dry. Stir to combine.
  5. Pour into a 9×9 baking dish either coated in cooking spray or lined with parchment.
  6. Bake for 40 minutes.
  7. Cut into 9 squares.
Makes 9 servings . Each bar is appx. 165 calories

**You can double the recipe and use a 9×13 baking dish. While delicious, the only sweetness in these comes from the dried fruit. Add in 1/4 – 1/2 cup brown sugar if you like.

The variations are endless: cranberries, coconut, all kinds of dried fruit, nuts, etc.

Banana-Craisin Oatmeal Bars:

Ingredients
  • 1.5 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup craisins (dried cranberries)
  • 1 cup Almond Milk, Unsweetened, Vanilla
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 scoop of Vanilla whey protein (optional)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Following cooking directions above, however I removed the bars from the pan, flipped them, placed the large square onto foil and baked for an additional 10-minutes to dry out the bottom side.

Makes 9 servings . Each bar is appx. 170 calories

Cinnamon Brown Sugar Oatmeal Squares

Ingredients
  • 1.5 cups rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup Almond Milk, Unsweetened, Vanilla
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Following cooking directions above, however I removed the bars from the pan, flipped them, placed the large square onto foil and baked for an additional 10-minutes to dry out the bottom side.

Makes 9 servings . Each bar is appx. 80 calories. These came out a little flatter than the banana ones and would make a great snack.

* If you make a variation of these or if you already make your own homemade oatmeal bars, I would love to hear about your recipe!

blog sig

1 comment:

  1. [...] I am not a big fan of oatmeal, however I LOVE me some Quaker Oatmeal To-Go bars. The problem with this is that they are full of sugar and hygrogenated oils. Eww! So, one of my first priorities was to find a healthy, homemade recipe for them. If you are interested in the recipe I found and the variations I made click here. [...]

    ReplyDelete