Saturday, September 18, 2010

The People We Meet Along The Way...

There is a saying "Everything happens for a reason", and I've come to learn that you either love this saying or absolutely hate it, depending on the situation. At the current moment I am not a huge fan of the saying, but I am sure that once I start thinking clearly again things will work out for the best and I will agree with it.

Anyway, I read a quote just now while catching up on Twitter “... the most influential people in my life are probably not even aware of the things they've taught me.” ~ Scott Adams which made me stop and think about some of the people who have come and gone in my life.

I think the two quotes work hand in hand in a lot of ways. I think people come into your life for a reason, even though you may not realize that reason until long after they are gone. Some people spend many years with you. They share good times and bad times, laughter and tears and are with you when you need them most. Others may only be there for a few months, share a few brief moments, a conversation or two, or maybe just an occasional hello or smile in passing. Regardless, both can be equally as important even though you don't realize it at first.

Over the years I have had the pleasure of meeting many people. All have brought something to the table and taught me a lesson in one way or another. Most of those people don't even know the impact they had on my life because we no longer speak and went our separate ways.

One of those people are responsible for my taking the steps to become the fit person I am today. They have no idea of the strides I have made, the influence they were, or how thankful I am for our chance encounter, and they most likely never will since we no longer speak. I have thought about sending them an e-mail, but always decide it's for the best not to since we chose to go our separate ways for a reason. One day our paths may cross again and if they do, I will be sure thank them, until then, I will be forever grateful in my heart.

Recently, I've noticed that it's the people I've known for the shortest amount of time who have taught me the most valuable lessons about myself. I don't know if subconsciously we seek these people, or if it is fate leading us to them but I am happy I have found each and every one of them. I will cherish them for as long as I have them and most likely even once they are gone, for they have all taught me a lesson along on the way. Even if I haven't realized what that lesson is yet.

blog sig

4 comments:

  1. Really an inspiring blog post one of the better things I've taken the time to read lately. I really need to get back into the zone of writing. It's such an important part of who I am.

    Thanks for sharing Nikki.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nikki, well there's another old saying:great minds think alike. I was thinking about this same sort of thing a few weeks ago. Naturally I had a more cynical slant to it. I completely agree with your perspective, and as usual you've found a much more positive spin than I.

    This harkens back to the old reflect vs dwell debate. I think it's important to stop every so often and consider how people's influences, both past and present, have affected who we are. I've lost touch with many people, regained contact with some, and something I find really interesting is how time apart can change people. As a perfect example, my stepdad is a wholly different person today than he was when I was growing up, and I like to think that I had as much influence on him as he did on me.

    Of course, some people simply are who they are and never change or improve. I've learned as much from a bad example as a good one. (For the record, you've been one of the best. :-P) I don't know if you'll ever meet up with your friend again, but I hope you wound up influencing her even if she doesn't realize it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, as I said on Twitter - I owe this blog to you since it came from your retweet of that quote.

    I hope you get back into writing soon - I'd love to read what you have to say.

    Thanks for taking the time to read mine and for all of your encouragement with my writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa (your pain the ass)September 20, 2010 at 7:57 AM

    Good blog post Nikki. Over the last few weeks I've thought about the same type of things. I realize that I am "ok" and can and want to be a postive being. I hope that what you said...good times and bad times, laughter and tears and are with you when you need them the most...is truly how you feel. Because right now, in the next few weeks, I will truly need you and hope that we can put the past behind us and move on. I'm not ready to shut the door on the last 8 years. I hope you feel the same.

    ReplyDelete