Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Don't Let Life Pass You By!

I have recently engaged in some conversations that made me stop and think about life.

I remember looking forward to special events or milestones and thinking...  "I just can't wait until this happens".  I would get lost in my dreams and focus on nothing but that. However, when the event finally happened, I felt like it went too fast, as if I didn't get to enjoy it long enough or that it didn't fulfill me as much as I hoped.

In reality the future does not exist,  and the past no longer matters.  The only thing that's real is NOW, this very moment.  Everything else is an illusion that we create. As soon as you start thinking about the past, you are living in your memories.  As soon as you start imagining your future, you are living in your dreams.

Now granted the past is there to provide you with important life lessons and should not be ignored. However it is so important that you push forward and don't compare everything you encounter on life's journey to it otherwise you hold yourself back.

The same holds true for the future. You need to set goals and things to work towards, but it's important that you don't get so hung up on the big picture that you miss all the beautiful small details. Which is what I have been guilty of doing with so many things in my life....especially my fitness journey.

All to often I find myself stuck in the past dwelling on things I can't change or so far into the future that I am missing all of the wonderful things that are happening right now. I tend to focus on what I still need to do more than what I have accomplished. I need to slow myself down, savor every moment that I'm lucky enough to experience in life and stop questioning everything. (Which is not an easy thing for me at all.)


I think the secret to enjoying life is to grab time by the balls and say "not so fast buddy".

You need to learn to slow down and enjoy the little things. Give yourself credit for what you have accomplished. Learn from your mistakes and move forward with the knowledge. Treat everyday as a clean slate where yesterday doesn't matter and tomorrow doesn't exist. Live in the here and now. Just go with the flow and grow as a person.

Don't let life pass you by - Carpe diem!

blog sig

4 comments:

  1. Great post girlie! I need to take your advice! I'm always spending way too much time questioning everything too. Here's to grabbing life by the balls and living one day at a time! Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was explained perfectly. I've always heard the phrase "Don't let life pass you by." and have tried to live by that but, much like all the things you mentioned, you only see that as a general idea and never really duelve into the nitty gritty. You're very much right and i'm happily taking a page from your book, missy! =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. My modus operandi for about a year And the only way to live. Thanks for the reaffirmation Nikki.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It a way of life that takes some taking used to. Especially for someone who tends to be an over-thinker like myself! Thanks for stopping by and checking out my blog. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete