Saturday, May 5, 2012

Skinless Chicken Thighs with Shallots

I've been in a bit of a food rut lately, so I did what any social media/internet junkie would do...I turned to Pinterest for inspiration.

While searching through the Food & Drink category, I stumbled upon this recipe and decided I had to try it. I had almost all of the ingredients on hand, so why not?

Skinless Chicken Thighs with Shallots

Ingredients:
  • 8 lean chicken thighs, skin removed (I used boneless, skinless)
  • salt and fresh pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1 cup fat free, low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 tsp butter
  • 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, thinly slice
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine (I only had red on hand so that's what I used)
  • 2 tbsp light sour cream
  • 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
Directions:

  1. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
  2. In a medium saucepan, combine vinegar, honey, 3/4 cup of the chicken broth and the tomato paste. Bring to a boil for about 5 minutes, or until the mixture reduces down to about 3/4 cup. Remove from heat.
  3. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat, then add the chicken. Cook on both sides, until brown, about 6-8 minutes, then remove the chicken and set aside.
  4. Add the shallots and garlic to the skillet and cook them on low until they are soft, about 5 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan, pour the sauce over the chicken, add the wine, remaining broth and salt & pepper to taste. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until tender.
  5. Remove the chicken, add the sour cream and stir into the sauce (if the sauce seems thick add more broth). Simmer for a few minutes, then return chicken to skillet.
  6. Sprinkle with fresh parsley.

As you can see I served this over rice and I'm sure it would be excellent with quinoa, as well. I also steamed up some vegetables to go with it and balance things out. The recipe was very flavorful and we all enjoyed it. I plan on making it again, only next time, I'd like to add some more shallots as well as some mushrooms.

Have you tried any healthy, delicious recipes lately? If so, I'd love to hear about them!

blog sig

No comments:

Post a Comment