Monday, May 23, 2011

Another Food Adventure: Pad Thai

(Photo courtesy of Vegetarian Times. I was too hungry and forgot to snap a pic for this blog.)

Over the weekend I had a conversation with some friends about the fact that I have never had Thai food. I have always been curious about it but don't much about it and my husband tends to be leery of food that can be spicy.

While trying to decide what to make for dinner tonight, I stumbled upon a few Pad Thai recipes on the Vegetarian Times website and decided to give it a shot.

Pad Thai

Ingredients:
  • 8 oz. rice noodles
  • 2 tsp. peanut oil
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, julienned
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 large ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 4 oz. snow peas, trimmed
  • 4 oz. firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/4-inch thick matchsticks
  • 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
  • 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
  • 2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/4 cup chopped cashews for garnish (I used peanuts )
  • 4 green onions, chopped for garnish
  • 2 oz. bean sprouts for garnish
(I left out the 1 to 2 tsp. hot chile sauce for the spice issues mentioned above, but added to my plate)

Directions:
  1. In large pot, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. When water boils, add noodles, stirring to prevent sticking. Cook until al dente, about 4 minutes. Drain.
  2. Meanwhile, in large wok or skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and garlic and stir-fry 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, snow peas and tofu and stir-fry just until tender, about 4 minutes. Add soy sauce and lime juice and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cooked noodles and cilantro.
  3. Spoon noodle mixture onto warm plates and garnish with cashews, green onions and bean sprouts.
I really enjoyed this and look forward to actually trying real Thai food in the near future.

blog sig

1 comment:

  1. That sounds delicious! I think I'll be making this soon - Thai is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete