Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Roasted Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts



Tonight, was another first for me. I had managed in my 34 years on this planet to avoid brussels sprout at all costs.

Over the weekend, while shopping I saw a package of the little green orbs and decided....why not!

I stared at them in my cart during the whole shopping trip trying to think of a reason NOT to purchase them. I came up with nothing, so they came home with me. I put them in my fridge and we engaged in a visual stand-off for 4 days.

Finally, I decided today was the day! I would cook the little orbs and taste them. If I didn't like them, it would be ok....at least I could say I tried them. If I liked them...score! A new food to add to my rotation, like the sweet potato which I had also avoided for 34 years. (No, I don't live under a rock. I just have the eating habits of a 4yr-old when it comes to trying new things.)

Turns out....the little green orbs are really good roasted! They looked appetizing, unlike the boiled, buttered things most people think of when you say brussels sprouts. If you haven't tried them roasted, I highly suggest it!

Tonights menu was: Teriyaki Chicken, Mashed Sweet Potato and Roasted Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts.

Roasted Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts
(courtesy of Vegetarian Times)


Ingredients:
  • 1 medium cauliflower, quartered, cored and cut into 1-inch florets
  • 2 cups (1 pint) Brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise
  • 3 Tbs. olive oil
  • 3 large cloves garlic, sliced as thin as possible
  • 1 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp. dried, crumbled
  • 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
  • 3/4 tsp. coarse salt
Directions:
  1. In large bowl, combine cauliflower and Brussels sprouts. Drizzle oil on top. Add garlic, rosemary and pepper and toss well. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.

  2. Preheat oven to 450°F. Spread vegetables in single layer on large baking sheet with sides. Sprinkle with salt. Roast until vegetables are crisp-tender and beginning to brown at edges, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.
For the mashed sweet potatoes, I just put them in the oven to roast with the chicken (which was marinated in pre-made bottle sauce I had on hand by Lawry's)  for an hour at 350 degrees. I then removed the skin, mashed them with a fork and added some cinnamon while mashing. They were wonderful and creamy on their own with no added butter or milk.

If you are a fan of brussels sprouts, I'd love to hear how you like them prepared!

blog sig

2 comments:

  1. Nicole, that's exactly how I make my brussel sprouts. Haven't tried it with cauliflower but sounds like they would be great together! I love roasting them and the leaves become crisp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love roasted veggies and the cauliflower tasted wonderful! They really complimented each other and the rosemary gave a nice subtle flavor.

    ReplyDelete