Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Hybrid Time: Ditching the Routine

This week started a new chapter in my fitness journey...the hybrid. For those of you that do not know what a hybrid is, it's a mixture of different workout programs, usually a combination of strength training, cardio exercise and stretching. Some of the #insanecrew are doing a P90X/Insanity Hybrid which I posted on here. As for me, I'm doing more of a "best of" or "greatest hits" hybrid. I am basically winging it and have just set up dedicated cardio and strength days (following the same hybrid), however I decide that day what workout I'm in the mood to do. I felt like being a little more whimsical this round and enjoy myself after Insanity.


This morning I decided to try Zumba. Yes, you heard me, Zumba!  What's Zumba? Well, Zumba is a dance fitness method based on salsa and other Latin dance moves, performed to Latin and world music beats, and choreographed to allow people of any fitness or dance experience level to enjoy a fantastic workout. Two twitter friends of mine are very into Zumba and would like for me  to attend a class with them. I however, am NOT coordinated and while I have some rhythm it is not up to Zumba class speed. So, yesterday I borrowed a Zumba DVD set from another friend and gave it go today.

I started off with the Zumba Basics DVD which basically runs through all of the moves you will do over the course of the program. They do each step in three stages increasing speed each time until you are at the speed of the actual move. Sounds great right? Maybe if you are capable of moving your feet, shaking your hips and adding "flavor" with your arms all while keeping the beat! I would do great until easy beat 3, then I would over think everything, lose the beat of the music and trip over my own two feet. It was quite a site, I truly could have ran my own comic relief show in my bedroom this morning.

After the Basics DVD I decided, what the heck, let's see what the Zumba 20 Minute Express is all about. Surprisingly, when I don't have time to over think, I do pretty darn good! The salsa stuff still tripped me up a little but with time, I'll get it....I hope! Now don't get me wrong, I'm not about to run to a gym and attend a class filled with people or anything (those poor people would all pee their pants have broken toes from me stepping on them!). I was however, pretty darn proud! Maybe this white girl can develope some rhythm and hang with her latina friend for a class one day (probably not, but hey, allow me to day dream here).

I felt a great abdominal burn while doing the routine and it was F-U-N! I am definitely looking forward to doing Zumba again and showing myself that this white girl CAN dance. Maybe I will even celebrate completing this hybrid by going to take an actual class....with other people in it...GASP!

blog sig

Here is a taste of the Basic's DVD I did this morning:





3 comments:

  1. Hey Nicole, I am a Zumba junkie as you know. I enjoy the classes much more than the DVD. My class is 1 hour. 10 min of warm up, 40 mins of Zumba, then 10 min cool down. We also have incorporated squats, and lunges. It's a great work out. Maybe one of these days, you'll have to hit up a free class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to wait until I'm comfortable with the moves. Group classes are NOT my thing, so for me to leave my comfort zone, I really have to know my stuff. I have two friends who are instructors and I plan on joining them for a class.....eventually :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a new and exciting challenge! I had the same rhythm and coordination issues with TurboFire so I feel for you there....being that you never back down from a challenge,which I've always admired about you, I'm very interested to see how you grow from this experience. I doubt you'll wind up shakin yr thang at the local club, but still.....

    ReplyDelete